Method development in computational biology
University of Tübingen
Faculty in: IMPRS
- PhD in Computer Science 2001, Saarland University
- Group Leader 2000-03, Center for Bioinformatics, Saarbrücken
- Post-doctoral training 2001-2002, Celera Genomics, Rockville, Maryland
- Professor of Applied Bioinformatics, University of Tübingen since 2003
- Director, Quantitative Biology Center, University of Tübingen since 2012
- Fellow, MPI for Biology Tübingen 2015-2020
- Director, Institute for Translational Bioinformatics, University Hospital Tübingen, since 2018
- Director, Institute for Bioinformatics and Medical Informatics, University of Tübingen, since 2020
The research of our group is focused on method development in computational biology and their application in systems biology, drug design, and immunology. We focus on the analysis of high-throughput data from genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and metabolomics. To this end we develop algorithmic and statistical techniques to analyze these data and integrate them into the biological context. The group is also known for its open-source software development efforts, most notably OpenMS (computational mass spectrometry) and BALL (structural bioinformatics).
Available PhD Projects
- Currently not recruiting PhD students.
- Singh J, Elhabashy H, Muthukottiappan P, Stepath M, Eisenacher M, Kohlbacher O, Gieselmann V, Winter D, (2022). Cross-linking of the endolysosomal system reveals potential flotillin structures and cargo.Nat Commun. 13(1):6212.
- Green AG, Elhabashy H, Brock KP, Maddamsetti R, Kohlbacher O, Marks DS, (2021) Large-scale discovery of protein interactions at residue resolution using co-evolution calculated from genomic sequences. Nat Commun. Mar 2;12(1):1396.
- Hopf, TA, Schärfe, CPI, Rodrigues, JP, Green, AG, Kohlbacher, O, Sander, C, Bonvin, AM, and Marks, DS (2014). Sequence co-evolution gives 3D contacts and structures of protein complexes. elife: 10.7554/eLife.03430.
- Kramer, K, Sachsenberg, T, Beckmann, BM, Qamar, S, Boon, K, Hentze, MW, Kohlbacher, O, and Urlaub, H (2014). Photo-cross-linking and high-resolution mass spectrometry for assignment of RNA-binding sites in RNA-binding proteins. Nat. Methods, 11(10):1064-70. doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.3092
- Ziller, MJ, Gu, H, Müller, F, Donaghey, J, Kohlbacher, O, Bernstein, BE, Gnirke, A, and Meissner, A (2013). Charting a dynamic DNA methylation landscape of the human genome. Nature, 500:477–481, doi: 10.1038/nature12433 .